In September 2018 we launched our Young Athletes’ programme designed for learners who compete at a regional, national or international level in their chosen sport. The programme was trialled for the initial term with four secondary learners and is now being offered to additional eligible students.
Our Young Learners are closely monitored by our Management Team, in order to ensure they flourish both in academics and in their sporting careers. In order to accommodate training and competitions, Young Athletes can be excused from some subjects, upon agreement between the parents/guardians and the Management Team, and allowed to attend competitions that fall during term time, so long as schoolwork is completed remotely.
Young Athletes are expected to behave in an exemplary manner and to be role models for the rest of the school community. They must attend and participate in all school-wide events and maintain excellent punctuality and attendance records. Absences due to competitions and/or organised and required training sessions will not count towards the Young Athletes’ overall attendance record if all set work has been completed to an acceptable standard and submitted within the allocated timeframe.
We work closely with the families and coaches of our Young Athletes and require direct contact with both prior to the commencement of the programme. For some sports we work only with coaches and organisations with whom we have a prior agreement and who we believe share our beliefs and values.
This programme is currently available by invitation only, however learners may apply to be considered. Young Athletes must:
- be regularly achieving Silver or Gold in all subjects including the core subjects.
- have competed at regional, national or international level at least twice in the past 12 months.
- submit a comprehensive training plan, including all tournament dates for the academic year ahead.
- provide the contact details of the coach/training institution.
- be willing and able to positively represent Mayfair Academy at school, outside of school and at events.
To apply to be considered for this programme please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.